Sunday, July 12, 2009

Station 3 Freestyle Dance Competition

Hip-Hop
Belly Dance
Break Dance

BUT STRICTLY NO SHUFFLE.

---------

Organized by Station 3. Yes, I did say Station 3.

Many of you and I mean MANY. Gave me THE STARE when I said I was joining this competition. You know...The one that goes like this

O.@ ------> This is the eye that is semi-open.

I mean like come on!!! I don't go there to club or anything. I joined the competition organized by S3 solely because it's a DANCE competition and mainly because my heart yearns for it.
People always say to follow your heart right? :) Also, I just turned 18 and I didn't want my age to be a barrier to part of the dancing world anymore. So, without hesitating, I agreed upon joining this competition with Dynamix.


Auditions ( Heat 4)

All I can recall from the audition was...

The tingly feeling i got through my spine while WALKING IN TO STATION 3 for the very first time.

I was dumbfounded. Though there was like only 2 people inside at that time ( 10.30pm) Still early for a club to be crowded. The music was pumpin and lights were flickering. I went in and was awed for a moment or two. Now here's the funny part.....(shy la...)
.
.
.

(don't laugh kay?)
.
.
.

I had to use the loo at one point. I thought I was 'macho' enough to go by myself and so I DID!!!.........That machoness of mine lasted only over a minute -.-''

The moment I stepped into the walkway that branched out into the girl's and the guy's toilet, I saw a man coming out from the guy's toilet. He started to light up his cigarette. How did I respond to that situation? Did I...

A) Walk straight ahead without giving a crap about that freaky dude?
B) Chest bump him and say, " SUP DUDE!"
C) Helped him light his cigarette?
D) Turn around and walked out of the toilet dengan macho sekali?

If you had answered:
A/B/C-->You're absolutely wrong! But MAN!! I would love to see Y-O-U attempt B and C!

If you had answered
: D--> aww man... T_T now you know how much of a wimp I could be at times T_T because that was exactly what I did!!! But no one knew what happened except for Meng because I forced him into accompanying me to the toilet after that XD. Yes...Marilyn Leo does have her weaknesses. XD

The competition started at 12+... We gave it our best and got into the Semis. The highlight of the night was

A dance routine by some Lady GaGa impersonator.
(I think I own her big time with the Poker Face dance I did for Drama Fest.)
They had masks on and cards in their hands.
Around a table they sat creating an illusion as if they were going to do something creative.
At least that's what we thought they were going to do.
Until they actually started dancing...
We started to get really suspicious.




Mood: Scared+Anxious

@Semi-finals

We danced to Boom Boom Pow!!! Sadly, the video was recorded from the side so if you really want to see it, come over to my place and I'll show it to ya ;)

That night, I remembered being really really frustrated because my outfit for that night was really horrendous. It just has something to do with the level of confidence that shows with the clothes that you are wearing and the clothes that I had on for my performance presumably gave me Z-E-R-O confidence.


I was so frustrated and angry that I was ready to give whoever who gets in my face a piece of my mind. Or in this case, my fist.

Remember in the auditions i mentioned how afraid I was of the environment? That day during the semi-finals, though the music was blasting like mad and everybody was dancing, I heard and felt nothing. Literally. I had no feeling in me except for anger and frustration. I sat in a corner as I waited for the competition to commence. Ah Ting and Zach tried to console me telling me that I look fine. Didn't work. Sorry Zach for telling you off...but I know you'd understand...thank you :)

Nyways, when the competition started, I still didn't have much feel until my turn came up. I put aside the thought of me having ugly clothes and gave it my best. Though my solo was crap thanks to the clothes but I don't really mind lah..

OH! I was told for the 2nd time that I was not feminine enough. First was during the auditions.





Mood: Angry+ Frustrated+ Determined




~*~*~*FINALS~*~*~*

Semi-finals were on Thursday. We took Friday off to go for Homosapien Concert over at Pay Teck. Read about it here

A Practice-free Friday Night

After that, it was practice practice practice, and MORE PRACTICE ALL THE WAY!!!
At first I thought we were going to start practicing on Monday because it's simply just weird to practice on a Saturday.

So there I was. Walking around my house in my home clothes in search for food.
(Mind you, I was about to get started on my tutorial questions). Until,

Brother: EH! Why haven't you changed??
Lyn: O.O????
Brother: O.O????????? (notice his eyes are bigger)
Lyn: Got practice meh??
Brother: GOT LAH!! THEN YOU THINK WHAT!!
Lyn: O.O!! wait i go change.

We practiced every night until the day of the finals without fail. The most challenging part was that some of us are working and some of us are not. However, we will still try our best things work no matter what.

Problem:
CS occasionally works until 11 so he can only come AFTER 11pm.
Stanley on the other hand has to go back early or else he'll get the bible from his mum. Literally speaking of course.

How do we solve this problem?

WHEN THERE'S A WILL, THERE'S A WAY!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
However!
According to the
Experiment conducted by the Dance Therapist herself:

Aim
: To create a quote no would dare question.
Hypothesis: Semakin this, Semakin that.
Steps:
  1. Eliminate up and down
  2. Minus Left and Right
  3. Divide here and there
  4. Add some sugar, spice and everything nice!
  5. Stir well.
Conclusion:
WHEN U WANNA JOIN A COMPETITION,
THERE'S GONA BE PRACTICE. PERIOD!
Precaution: Adult supervision is advised.

Proven to be much more inspiring compared to the old-school quote created by god-knows who.
Don't believe it? Try it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MOVIN on...

On the night before the competition, we rented a studio in Melaka Raya called RH Dance Studio.
The owner of the studio, Ruo Han is a b-boy and also a friend of ours.

We wasted no time at all once we arrived. We started working on parts that were messy. I however, was a major screw up on that day. I couldn't get a simple turn right. A FRIGGIN TURN!!!Like my bro said,

100 times you do, 100 times you fail!

T_T

It doesn't help the fact that I actually went for badminton earlier on in the afternoon with my friends. I thought that I could handle it and wouldn't be that tired at night.
DAMN WAS I WRONG.

I was already tired by the time we did our first set!!! I was breathing so heavily in attempt to catch my breath after every take. Stanley said that my stamina was off no good. I strongly denied at that point but now I stand corrected.

-Lesson learned?
Get your priorities straight. When you know you're going to have strenuous practice at night until the break of dawn, get lots of rest before hand. Get your head in the game.

- Another lesson learned?
Always remember to bathe. I felt like a nomad when I had to go over to Jordan's place at the very last minute to get a quick shower before my practice. It was already 6pm and I hadn't had my bath since morning. Now, don't start judging me!! I normally smell like Daffodils on a bright and sunny day!

That night, after the 2 hour studio session, we headed down to MMU to continue our practice until I don't know? 2/3 in the morning? I felt like fainting at one point. I might sound as if I'm exaggerating but I honestly, HONESTLY have never felt that way before until that day. I was running on only 2 hours of sleep. My vision got blurry as I looked into the distance but I kept quiet not wanting to create a fuss. Don't worry. I made it through. :) Marilyn Leo is one tough cookie!!!

That night, we practiced until around 10pm. So, we still had some time to bathe and freshen up before the competition. When I came out of the bathroom over at Cs's house, all of the guys were sitting on the floor laughing away . What were they watching?


T
wo & A Half Men

-.-''


All I can say is...

STEADYYYYYYYYYYYyyyyyyyyyyyyyy~~~

watching tv before a competition...


STEADYYYYYYYYYYYyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
!

We then went to S3, at around 11.30 pm. The competition started uber late this time compared to the semis. Now this time, I decided to put on make up.

YES.
MARILYN LEO IS PUTTING ON MAKE UP.
Believe it.


THE funny part was that, the dancers who were in the toilet got a shock when they saw me holding an eyeliner in my hand. They were like,

" Oh! Ni Hua Zhuang ah? Kan Pu Chu Se Ni Leh!"
( In English that means that they can't recognise me with make up on)

They say that they recognize me better with my cap on. T_T I'm really actually quite feminine at heart ya noe ppl!!! See what Dynamix has turned me into T_T A tomboy in other people's eyes T_T

But, I don't give a damn...If dance means doing everything and anything so long as it turns out good, I'm game :)


Then as usual, the competition started late. The finalists whom I can remember were:


US!

Nannie the Bellydancer

SDO Girls

Shadow Emotion


Indah Lembagu
You guys should know by now that she's actually a HE right??

^^v
sorry
no pictures

and A group from UBC

Then the results....Some Datuk came on stage to talk before announcing the winners. He mentioned that he was a DJ for 6 years before.

He DJ-ed in Las Vegas before and earned a good USD6k. After that he went on talking about the same topic.

I have Dj-ed I am a DJ. DJ is I. Datuk DJ. Datuk yang DJ.

YES WE GET IT DATUK...YOU WERE AN AWESOME DJ. NOW CAN YOU JUST PLEASE TELL US THAT WE'VE WON AND GET ON WITH THE SHOW? -ceh ceh..confident eh?

TRUE enough, we won.... :D!!!
We SMOKED em man, SMOKE!

After that, the top 3 winners were required to go into a room for a small meeting. With who??WELL....

DATUK DJ of course!!!

What did he talked to us about?

I have Dj-ed I am a DJ. DJ is I. Datuk DJ. Datuk yang DJ.


His main point was to ask if any us wanted to be a DJ because if we wanted to, Station 3 would send us for a course for free. None of us accepted his offer.Why? Simple.

We're Dancers. Dancing is on our blood.

PFffffftt~! Did I mention that he called me a good girl when I walked into the room?? I was the only girl dancer there you see. But wth? Good Girl? (he even patted my back.)

Then, the datuk proposed a question that is still stucked in my head until today.

[You might be in a group today but how long will your group last together?]

My previous dance groups:

Blaque= A few months

Dong Bang Junior= 1 year

D2X= Half a year

Dynamix= How long will we last together guys? How long....?

All and all, the competition was fun. Even my mom was there to support us! Have got to love her! I told myself that I've to give it my best as to make her proud and I did :) A very big thanks to all of our friends who went to support! You guys are the best !!!




Mood: HAPPY!!!


.
.
.

wow. you made it through this uber long post huh?



0 comments: