Monday, February 23, 2009

Tips on Dance

I've not been dancing for more than a month now. I feel weird. I do practice by myself at home but i feel like i need to improve by WWAAAAAYYYY more. *sigh*

Flexibility's definitely not on my list anymore because GOD gave me super hard bones since young( I can't even do my Scorpion nicely now). That explains why i wasn't accepted into the Gymrama team when i was still in standard 1. -.-'' not that i would want to. Cuz that would change my life by god noes how much. LOL

Recently, I've been watching tons of my old performance videos. (cuz i was reformatting my comp). By doing so, i noticed several

IMPERFECTIONS!!!

1) Walao...dance like crap
2) Hm..i should've executed that step at full force
3) Don't want to zip up nicely somemore lah! See! The jacket keeps on slipping of ur shoulder.
4) Why was I looking on the floor??
5) Damn it..i should have maintained my composure and not show that i was tired.
6) W-H-Y in the world was i touching my hair??

Tips on how to overcome this few imperfections

TIP 1:
If you dance like crap, aim to improve. Whether it's the dance that's not your style or it's your style that's in the way. Improvise.

TIP 2:
Always finish up a step. Never execute it halfway.

For example, like when you're swinging your hands backwards, make sure you swing it until u can't feel your hands no more.Make it sharp and clean. [the problem i'm having is that i'm too thin. So i'll need to use more energy to make my moves neater.]

TIP 3:
Always have a dress rehearsal before a performance so that you will feel comfortable in your costume and will know it's limitations and such. A proper dress rehearsal. No exceptions.

TIP 4:
Many dancers think that looking on the floor while dancing gives the dance a COOL effect. If you're one of them, I'd say it's time to have a 360 degrees turn on the way you define the meaning of the word COOL.

This is because by looking on the floor while dancing, it gives the audience a sense of arrogance and lack of confidence. Try watching one of your very own performance videos. Are you one of the people who looks on the floor while dancing? If you do, not to worry.

Next time, try looking straight at the audience and flash your biggest smile while dancing. Play around with your facial expressions!GO WILD!!!Let the audience feel what you are feeling when you get into the rhythm!!!Confidence is K-E-Y.

TIP 5:
Never EVER let it show when you are tired. No one wants to see a dancer that has no energy in him/herself. Think happy thoughts when you feel like your feet is letting you down faster than an avalanche over at the Himalaya's.

I've been commented once on this area before. Since then, I swore to myself that I will never let this happen again when I'm performing.

TIP 6:
This is MAJOR. I can't stress how important this mistake is. Don't ever touch your hair or clothes when you're not supposed to on stage!!!

Once you do, it makes the synchronization go off and it makes you seem uncomfortable. Just be free and let your hair do its own thang! It's hotter and more natural that way! Unless your zipper is undone or your boobs are about to show then yes.YES! By all means, do adjust your clothes.

I hope this few tips would aid dancers out there on the tiniest little aspects that they might not notice themselves someway somehow.

Love,













The Dance Therapist



1 comments:

Kev said...

Hi Marilyn

Hope that you'll be a pro dancer some day; i believe you're able to go that far if you put your heart and soul into it. Perhaps write a book or produce a dance video for others to learn, too. Exploit your own interest & the rest will just fall into place in time.

-Cheers-